I am currently working with Stephen Montgomery at Stanford University, where I hold a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship.
I completed my PhD in Pharmacology at Western University in London, Canada with Richard Kim and Rommel Tirona. During my doctoral training, I was a Vanier Scholar.
Prior to that, I attended Queen’s University in Kingston, Canada where I completed a Bachelor’s degree in biomedical computing. My honours thesis project was supervised by Susan Cole.
My research interests lie in understanding interindividual variability in drug response. To date, I have focused on drug transport protein function, mediated by both genetic and non-genetic factors, as a mechanism of interindividual variability in drug response.
I have also worked on structure-function relationships of drug transporters, particularly the organic anion transporting polypeptides (OATPs) and multidrug resistance-associated proteins (MRPs).
My current focus is on the function of non-coding genetic variation and how it influences drug response.
- DeGorter MK, Tirona RG, Schwarz UI, Choi Y, Dresser GK, Suskin N, Myers K, Zou G, Iwuchukwu O, Wei W, Wilke RA, Hegele RA, Kim RB. (2013) Clinical and pharmacogenetic predictors of circulating atorvastatin and rosuvastatin concentration in routine clinical care. Circulation: Cardiovascular Genetics, 6(4):400-8. [html, pdf]
- Ziada A, Schwarz UI, DeGorter MK, Tirona RG, Ban MR, Kim RB, Hegele RA. (2013). Incremental lowering of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol with ezetimibe 20 mg vs 10 mg daily in patients receiving concomitant statin therapy. Can J Cardiol, 29(11):1395-9.
- Zarek J, DeGorter MK, Lubetsky A, Kim RB, Laskin CA, Berger H, Koren G. (2013). The transfer of pravastatin in the dually perfused human placenta. Placenta. 34(8):719-21.
- Goldberg AS, DeGorter MK, Ban MR, Kim RB, Hegele RA. (2013). Efficacy and plasma drug concentrations with nondaily dosing of rosuvastatin. Can J Cardiol, 29(8):915-9.
- DeGorter MK, Ho RH, Leake BF, Tirona RG, Kim RB. (2012) Interaction of three regio-specific amino acid residues is required for OATP1B1 gain of OATP1B3 substrate specificity. Mol Pharm, 9:986-95. [html, pdf]
- Gong IY, Crown N, Suen CM, Schwarz UI, Dresser GK, Knauer MJ, Sugiyama D, DeGorter MK, Woolsey S, Tirona RG, Kim RB. (2012) Clarifying the importance of CYP2C19 and PON1 in the mechanism of clopidogrel bioactivation and in vivo antiplatelet response. Eur Heart J, 33(22):2856-2464.
- DeGorter MK, Xia CQ, Yang JJ, Kim RB. (2012) Drug transporters in drug efficacy and toxicity. Ann Rev Pharmacol Toxicol, 52:249-273. [html]
- DeGorter MK, Urquhart BL, Gradhand U, Tirona RG, Kim RB. (2012) Disposition of atorvastatin, rosuvastatin and simvastatin in Oatp1b2-/- mice and intraindividual variability in human subjects. J Clin Pharmacol, 52(11):1689-97. [html, pdf]
- DeGorter MK, Kim RB. (2011) Use of transgenic and knockout mouse models to assess solute carrier transporter function. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 89:612-6.
- Grant, CE, Gao M, DeGorter MK, Cole SP, Deeley RG (2008) Structural determinants of substrate specificity differences between human multidrug resistance protein (MRP) 1 (ABCC1) and MRP3 (ABCC3). Drug Metab Dispos, 36(12):2571-81.
- DeGorter MK, Conseil G, Deeley RG, Campbell RL and Cole SP (2008) Molecular modeling of the human multidrug resistance protein 1 (MRP1/ABCC1). Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 365(1):29-34. [html, pdf]